Sunday, February 13, 2011

DREW GOES FOR GOLD! AND GETS IT!

Exciting News! from B.C. Special Olympics Winter Games February 11th & 12th
Drew's curling team wins GOLD! winning every single game!
When we met Drew at the ferry last night we didn't yet know the results but the moment I saw Drew coming up the escalator at arrivals and saw a medal around his neck I knew something good had happened but couldn't see the colour of the medal until he came through the doors, flew at me for a gigantic hug and proudly showed me his gorgeous GOLD! medal!
All the athletes had a wonderful two days of competition and social events.  Drew was particularly chuffed to stay at a Ramonda Hotel across the street from the super sports complex in Coquitlam.  He told me had "a very hard time leaving"!  They have an amazing coach who had them playing in a mainstream league for practice all season and it seems to have paid off!
The next big news is that now they have won the gold medal at the provincials they get to go on to the National Special Olympics Winter games next year to be held in Alberta.  The coach is very excited and is looking forward to getting them ready for this all important competition.
I'm hoping B.C. Special Olympics posts photos soon so we can see an image of the gold medal presentation.
In the meantime I found a great shot of Drew ready to throw the shot put on the Victoria Special O sight I thought everyone would like to see.
Drew is looking forward to showing everyone his medal!
Cheers
Patricia, the proud Mama

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Drew!!! That is fantastic news. We are so proud of you for your accomplishment. What an athlete you are.

    We can't wait to see your pictures.

    Love, Cathy and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Drew!!
    Way to Curl!
    Your team is truly awesome and you have earned your Gold with stellar teamwork!!
    Huge congratulations to you. We loved watching you curl recently and think you have the very best form of all the players on the ice.
    Alberta here you come!
    Much love,
    Trudi and Norman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Drew!!! Colin and I are so impressed by your GOLD medal!!!!!

    ReplyDelete