One of the nice things about mathematics is that it sends me all over the world. Indeed, I slipped surreptitiously back to Victoria last week for a conference.
I realize now the difficulty of mixing work and social travel. Once the conference started, I was immersed in maths and didn't get to catch up with all the people I'd planned to. But fortunately I'd planned ahead with Drew, and we'd organized to meet Sunday lunch before the conference started.
I've got to say, I don't miss the Victoria weather. I understand that Canadians judge their weather by the winters, which is why Victoria has a reputation for being pleasant. But in late June, the weather could not be described as summery.
Still, Drew and I got a pleasant enough afternoon. We went down to Barb's (of course!) and it was a nice enough day that we even took a Harbour Ferry over to the Hayack Air terminal. Then we wandered over the old blue bridge, and had a snoop around the shiny condo buildings near the Songhees walk.
All in all, a pretty pleasant day, and a great reminder of how serenely relaxing an afternoon with Drew can be. I'm sorry I didn't get to catch you again before I left, Drew. We'll have to wait for the next trip.
-- Bob
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment